How to get to Guimarães
Guimarães is located approximately 350 km from the Portuguese capital, Lisbon, and about 50 km from the country second largest city, Porto. The Porto International Airport (Francisco Sã Carneiro International Airport) has regular flights to the main international cities, including some low costs flights.
- How to reach Guimarães from Porto.
- By bus from Porto airport (recommended): there is a regular coach service between Porto airport and the Guimarães coach station. The journey takes 50 min. and has no stops. Further information about the schedule and prices can be found here. To ensure seat availability it is advisable to buy the ticket on-line (follow the previous link).
- By train from Porto airport:. take the subway from Porto Airport to Campanhã Railway Station: 40 minutes (line E, check the metro map). Cost of 1.8€ for a single journey (+0.5€ for a reusable card). At Campanhã follow the signs to railway station and get the train to Guimarães (see next).
- By train from Porto: There are regular train services between "São Bento" and "Campanhã" stations and Guimarães (schedule here). The journey to Guimarães takes 75 minutes, and the average cost is 3€ for a commuter train (+0.5€ for a reusable card). There are also intercity services by a price of nearly 12€. Pay attention to the schedule as these trains are less frequent on weekends.
- By car from Porto Airport: 60 minutes by Highway (you can rent-a-car at the Airport)
- By taxi from Porto Airport: 60 minutes, cost 60 to 80€.
- How to reach Guimarães from Lisbon.
- From Lisbon airport : take the subway to Oriente (cost 1,25 euros for a single journey + 0,50 euros for a reusable card - more info here). Otherwise take bus number 705 or Aerobus number 2 to "Estação Oriente". There you can take a train (see next).
- By train: You can catch trains at "Santa Apolónia" or "Oriente" stations. There are two direct trains from Lisbon to Guimarães per day, but there is roughly one train per hour to Porto - Campanhã (schedule here). At Porto - Campanhã you can find a connection to Guimarães (schedule here). Pay attention to the schedule as these trains are less frequent on weekends. The total journey time is at least four hours, and the price of the ticket (which includes a reservation of seat - limited places) is at least 22,50 euros.
- By car from Lisbon Airport: about 4 hours by Highway, you can rent-a-car at the Airport.
- Important information for participants traveling from Spain by car.
In Portugal there are a number of toll motorways where payment is through an electronic toll system only. Cars with a non-Portuguese plate number must purchase a ticket prior to entering any of these motorways. It is possible to purchase the ticket at certain locations in the Spanish-Portuguese border (the "Easy toll card") or on-line before traveling (the "toll card"). To find out more about the electronic toll system or buying your ticket on-line, please follow this link.