Member of the Mathematical
Research Centre CMAT.
Assistant Professor at the Department of Mathematics and Applications
of Minho University.
- Main Lectures /
Spatio-temporal statistical modelling (MSc in Statistics)
Introduction to statistics and probability (MSc in Statistics)
Lineares models and Generalized LM (MSc in Statistics)
Design of experiments
Introduction to statistics for engineering
Tel.: +351 253510430/400
Fax: +351 253510401
Email: rmenezes (at) math.uminho.pt
Snail: Dep Matemática
e Aplicações, Universidade do Minho, Campus de Azurém, 4800-058 Guimarães,
in 'Mathematics / Statistics', Santiago de Compostela University, December 2005.
Postgraduate studies in 'Statistics' (DEA-Diploma de Estudios Avanzados), Santiago de Compostela
University, September 2002.
- MSc in 'Computer Science', Minho University, June 1996.
- BSc in 'Applied Mathematics / Computer Science', Porto University, July 1989.
Communications and assorted Readings
Publications in ISI journals
- H.Piairo, R.Menezes, I.Sousa, R.Figueira and C.Sergio (2014). Spatial modelling of factor analysis scores. The case of heavy metals biomonitoring in mainland Portugal. Environmental Science and Pollution Research (accepted).
- R.Menezes and A. Manuela Goncalves (2014). Spatio-temporal stochastic modelling (METMAVI). Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment, editorial letter, vol 28, issue 5, 1167-1169.
- Held, L., Menezes R. and Sousa, I. (2014), METMAVI -VIth International Workshop on Spatio-Temporal Modelling. Biometrical Journal, editorial letter, 56: 361-362. doi: 10.1002/bimj.201400015.
- L.Margalho, R.Menezes and I.Sousa (2014). Assessing interpolation errors under a spatio-temporal model. Journal of Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment, vol 28, issue 5, 1307-1321 (DOI 10.1007/s00477-013-0826-7).
- P.Garcia-Soidán, R.Menezes and O.Rubinos-Lopez (2014). Bootstrap approaches for spatial data. Journal of Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk, vol 28, issue 5, 1207-1219 (DOI 10.1007/s00477-013- 0808-9).
- P.Garcia-Soidán and R.Menezes (2012). Estimation of the spatial distribution through the kernel indicator variogram. Environmetrics, vol 23, issue 6, 535-548.
- P.Garcia-Soidán, R.Menezes and O.Rubinos-Lopez
(2012). An approach for valid covariance estimation via the Fourier series. Journal of Environmental Earth Sciences. Vol 6(2), 615-624. DOI: 10.1007/s12665-011-1269-4.
- C.Baquero, P.S.Almeida, R.Menezes and P.Jesus (2012). Extrema Propagation: Fast Distributed Estimation of Sums and Network Sizes. Journal of IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, vol 23, no 4, 668-675, http://doi.ieeecomputersociety.org/10.1109/TPDS.2011.209.
- R.Menezes, P.Garcia-Soidán
and C.Ferreira (2010). Nonparametric spatial
prediction under stochastic sampling design. Journal of Nonparametric Statistics, vol 22, issue 3, 363-377.
- P.Diggle, R.Menezes and
Ting-Li Su (2010). Geostatistical Inference under Preferential Sampling
(with discussion). Journal of Royal
Statistics Society, series C, vol 59, part
2, 191-232 (RSS read paper).
- R.Menezes and J.Tawn (2009). Assessing
the effect of biased and clustered sampling on variogram
estimation. Environmetrics, vol 20,
issue 4, 445-459.
- R.Menezes, P.Garcia-Soidán
and M.Febrero-Bande (2008). A
kernel variogram estimator for clustered data.
Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, vol 35, issue
- R.Menezes, P.Garcia-Soidán
and M.Febrero-Bande (2005). A comparison
of approaches for valid variogram achievement.
Computational Statistics, 20
Communications in Conferences or Workshops
- Invited talk on 'Sampling design issues in environmental data'. 1st Southern European Conference on Survey Methodology (SESM), Barcelona, Spain, 12-14 December 2013 / 3rd Italian Conference on Survey Methodology, Milan, Italy, 26-28 June 2013.
- Invited talk on 'Assessing interpolation errors for space-time monitoring data'. 15th Annual conference of the International Association for Mathematical Geosciences, Madrid, Spain, 2-6 September 2013.
R. Menezes (2013). Spatial representativeness issues in environmental monitoring networks. Congress of Spatial Statistics 2013, Ohio University, Columbus, USA, 5-7 June.
- Invited talk on 'Sampling Design Issues in Environmental Data'. Ecological and Environmental Statistical Modelling Symposium, Instituto Superior de Agronomia, Lisbon, Portugal, 11 April 2013
- Invited talk on 'Functional data analysis applied to environmental chlorophyll bio monitoring'. 4th Iberian Mathematical Meeting, Universidad de Valladolid, Spain, 4-6 October 2012
- Invited talk on 'Preferential Sampling in Environmental Monitoring'. Joint Meeting of yBIS and jSPE, Lisbon, July 23-26 2012
- R.Menezes, A.Castro, J.Arruda-Neto, J.Harari, M.Febrero-Bande (2012). Functional data analysis applied to environmental chlorophyll bio monitoring, 8th World Congress in Probability and Statistics, Istanbul, Turkey, 9-14 July.
- Invited talk on 'A Kernel Indicator Variogram and its Application to Groundwater Pollution Data'. Invited Paper Session on Stochastic modeling for water-related environmental problems, ISI2011 Conference. Dublin, Irland, August 2011.
- Invited talk on 'A Kernel Indicator Variogram and its Application to Environmental Data'. Half-day Workshop on Spatio-temporal Modelling organized by CEAUL, Lisbon University. Lisbon, Portugal, 11 January 2011
- R.Menezes (2010). Estimacao Nao-Parametrica do Variograma da Indicatriz, XVIII Annual Congress of the Portuguese Society of Statistics, Sao Pedro do Sul, Portugal, September 29-October 2.
- Invited talk on 'Geostatistics, Preferential Sampling and Environmental Monitoring'. 38th Annual Meeting of the Statistical Society of Canada. Quebec City, Canada, May 23-26, 2010.
- Invited talk on 'Geostatistics, Preferential sampling and Environmental Monitoring'. Workshop on Statistical Aspects of Environmental Risk, organized by SAMSI/SPRUCE. North Caroline, USA, April 2010.
- Before 2010
- Lisandra Andreia Pereira Rocha. Title of thesis: 'Inference on longitudinal studies with informative time measurements'. Supervisors: I.Sousa and R.Menezes. Minho University (started in Dec 2009).
- Luis Manuel dos Santos de Melo Margalho. Title of thesis: 'Spatio-temporal modeling of environmental and health data'. Supervisors: R.Menezes and I.Sousa. Minho University (started in Mar 2010).
- Alrenice Cunha de Castro, PhD student from Sao Paulo University (Brazil) visiting Minho University under exchange CAPES program. Title of thesis: 'A study of global warming impacts using power laws in ecology'. Local supervisor: R.Menezes (from Nov 2011 to May 2012).
- Antonio Neco de Oliveira. Title of thesis: 'Modelacao por regressao incorporando dependencia espacial e temporal'. Supervisors: S.Faria and R.Menezes. Minho University (expected to start in Feb 2014).
Current and Past Professional
- Mathematics and Statistics Department in Lancaster
University, where I have partially developed the research work for my
Doctoral thesis, under the supervision of Prof.Peter Diggle and Prof.Jonathan Tawn. My first visit to this Department occurred in 2003, under an EU
Marie Curie fellowship.
- Statistics and Operational Research Department
in Santiago de Compostela University, where I
have been registered as a PhD student and where my official supervisor Prof.Manuel Febrero-Bande is
a lecturer. My other official PhD supervisor was Prof.Pilar
Garcia-Soidán from Vigo University.
- Mathematics Department in Aveiro University
- Where I have lectured Introdução à Estatística,
Cálculo II and Introdução à Análise Numérica.
- With whom I have colaborated
- Texas Instruments e Samsung
Portugal, where I have worked for almost 10 years.
Department in Lusíada
- ISTEC - Instituto Superior de Tecnologias Avançadas do Porto.
Association for Statistical Computing, IASC-ISI
Federation of Classification Societies, IFCS
- Associação Portuguesa de Classificação
e Análise de Dados, CLAD
- Sociedade Portuguesa de Estatística,
Page creation at
1994. Last update at